lxdream.org :: Forums :: View topic - What would it take to port this game to Windows?
lxdream 0.9.1
released Jun 29
Download Now
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What would it take to port this game to Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 pm 

Hey nkeynes, you can probably tell by my dumbass post that I don't know much about emulation or programming in general. ****, I don't even know what programming language this emulator is written in. I don't use Linux any more for various reasons but for the hell of it I want to know what it would take to get it working on Windows in an "easy way" (If that makes sense..?).

Like, what would need to be done so that I could just download a lxdream.exe from this site, double-click it and go through an install wizard and presto! Have lxdream icon on my desktop along with the working emulator. I'm downloading cygwin on my shitty Internet as I type this up.

I don't know any programming or **** like that, but I want to help out with this project and if building the emulator on Windows will teach me something (It seems like something amazingly hard to me right now. I was just one of many idiots using Ubuntu) then I think it will be a good place to start.

The most I can do for now is **** around with trying to get this working on Windows... But I think I'll install Fedora or some **** on another partition and try get it working. It's not much, but I'll test some games as much as my bandwidth and time will allow and get an up-to-date compatibility list going... That is, if you can still be ****** to work on this emu... Which is only possible if you're even alive. Because ****, maybe you got hit by a car or something. (RIP if that's the case BTW. No disrespect).

So yeah. If you're alive please respond and help me get this **** working on Windows XP SP3 32 bit if you feel like it.

Peace.

Last edited by nkeynes on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited for language

Post subject: Re: What would it take to port this game to Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am 
Admin

In theory you can build lxdream on windows using cygwin - I did it once as an experiment some time back, although I don't recall how well the graphics worked (I suspect not well). A 'real' port though is a fair amount of work. You'd probably want a real native UI, plus building with native tools and fixing all the low-level porting issues.

Basically - this is not something I'm going to do, but if someone else wants it badly enough to do the work, and to support it going forward, then I would be happy to merge any patches.

Cheers,
Nathan